A Better Planet
We are committed to using only the finest natural and organic ingredients in all of our products. We never use additives, preservatives, hydrogenated oils or GMOs. Everything we produce is handmade in small batches.
We promote sustainable living through organic agricultural methods, composting and recycling. Our belief is that thriving communities are sustained by quality healthy foods and a clean supportive environment.
We are CISA (Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture) members and support local organic agriculture. We believe that:
- Buying organic supports small local independent farms
- Organic farming methods help protect our water resources
- Organic agriculture increases farm and land productivity
- Organic growing methods support biologically diverse and healthy ecosystems
- Organic growing limits toxic and long-lasting chemicals in our environment
And the best part is… our pizzas and cookies taste great!
How We Do It
Here are some examples of how Hillside Pizza is helping promote a healthier community!
- We support local! Some of our local, organic and natural food suppliers are: Against the Grain Gourmet, Albert’s Organics, Appalachian Naturals, Applegate Farms, Bloody Brook Farm, Champlain Valley Milling, Deep River Snacks, El Jardin Bakery, Green Field’s Market, Hot Mama’s, and Hillside Gardens (our organic veggies!)
- Hillside Pizza’s to-go containers and plates are made of renewable resources including bamboo reed and sugarcane fiber. These materials break down quickly in landfills, and better still, can also be a useful addition to any compost pile!
- Hillside Pizza’s “plasticware” is not plastic at all! Some of it is made from corn polymers, and is 100% biodegradable. Some is made from potato starches. After two years, this potato cutlery will disintegrate — and in your compost bin, it will turn into soil in only two months.
- You might have noticed that unlike many other pizzerias, Hillside Pizza supplies plain, non-printed, unbleached takeout pizza boxes. Because of this simplicity, our boxes can be recycled like any other cardboard material.
- Hillside’s beautiful booths were made not by machine, but by the hands of some very talented young people. The craftsmen that built our booths are 2008 graduates of Frontier Regional School. They were given use of the school’s facilities and tools and purchased the lumber Cowl’s Building Supply in North Amherst, a leader in sustainable forestry.
- Our shop floor in Hadley is soft, resilient and sustainable — cork! Cork comes from the bark of a cork oak tree. It is harvested by stripping the tree of its bark every 9-14 years. The habitat remains undisturbed and the tree is never cut down!
- During the growing season, many of the vegetables on your pizza come from local organic farms, including our own! We grow without chemicals or pesticides, and use minimal machinery. Additionally, by composting, we turn food waste from the restaurant into soil for our veggies.